Jack.O.Trades ist offline
    Themen Starter

Title
    neuer Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard Help with netgear modem

Hallo!

I am new to this Forum, Germany and German, so I apologise for not being able to write in German. I am hoping you can still help me.

I got a german ADSL2+ modem (DM111PBL - Annex B) as my old one was Annex A and I was told it would not be possible to be used here. I have a 2Mb service from T-Com.

I have been trying to get the modem to work but it is not even reaching first base...

I have (for configuration purposes, later I will connect it to a router) plugged the modem to my laptop via the Ethernet cable, and to the microfilter (splits the phone from the DSL). Both cables (eth and rj-11) have been provided with the modem.

I have also changed the laptop's network settings so that I could reach the modem login on 192.168.0.1 as per the manual.

The problem: when I enter username and password to login to the modem, it doesn't allow me to login. I have used "admin" and "password" as per the manual but it doesn't let me log in!

I even tried a hard reset (to factory defaults) several times to make sure it is all default. It still doesn't let me login!

Without loging in I can't even think about firmware upgrades or any kind of configuration.

The modem comes with no software, only the cables, a one page diagram of how to install them and it says the modem autoconfigures itself. I don't really think so... all the lights are green except for the "i" one.

I hope you can help me, I can't think of anything else... I must be missing something so obvious I cannot see it.

Thanks for any help!
    Jack

PS: I have been using a Fritz!Box gateway (modem+router temporarilly borrowed) and it works flawlessly so the service is there and the line is ok.

stadtindianer ist offline

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    genau zwischen Alsfeld und Lauterbach (Hessen)
    Danke

Standard

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum
    I did a translation for the helpers who do not speak English:

Übersetzung für die Helfer die kein Englisch können (ich würde ja selbst helfen, aber ich glaube, das ist was für die Telekomiker :P )

Hallo!
    Ich bin neu in diesem Forum und in Deutschland, deshalb möchte ich mich dafür entschuldigen, dass ich nicht in Deutsch schreiben kann. Ich hoffe, man kann mir trotzdem helfen.

Ich habe ein ADSL2+ Modem (DM111PBL - Annex B), weil man mir sagte, dass ich mein altes Annex A hier nicht benutzen kann.

Ich habe versucht, das Modem zum laufen zu bringen, habe aber noch nicht mal den ersten Schritt machen können.

Das Modem ist mit meinem Laptop verbunden (für Einstellungszwecke, später will ich es mit dem Router verbinden) und dem Splitter. Beide Kabel wurden mit dem Modem geliefert (eth und rj-11).

Die Einstellungen des Laptops habe ich geändert, damit ich das Modem per 192.168.0.1 wie im Handbuch beschrieben erreichen kann.

Das Problem: Wenn ich den Username und das Passwort eingebe, läßt mich das Modem nicht einloggen. Ich habe "admin" und password", wie in dem Handbuch beschrieben benutzt, aber ich kann mich nicht anmelden.

Ich habe das Modem mehrere Male wie im Handbuch beschrieben auf Werkseinstellungen zurückgesetzt, es nützt alles nichts.

Und ohne Login, kann ich natürlich keine Firmware upgrades machen oder jede Art der Konfiguration.

Bei dem Modem ist keine Software dabei, nur die Kabel und eine Seite in der beschrieben ist, wie es installiert wird. Dort wird auch gesagt, dass das Modem sich selbst konfiguriert. Das glaube ich nicht wirklich ... alle Lampen sind grün mit Ausnahme der mit für das i.

Ich hoffe, jemand kann mir helfen, ich kann schon an nichts andere mehr denken.. Ich vermute ich mache einen offensichtlichen Fehler, der so offensichtlich ist, dass ich ihn übersehe.

Danke für jede Hilfe!
    Jack

PS: Ich habe vorübergehend mal eine geliehene FritzBox drangehängt, die arbeitete einwandfrei, so dass ich ein fehlendes DSL Signal ausschließen kann.

@ Jack,
    I know the first questions:
    1. Who is your service provider?
    2. What is the exact name of your modem, did you get it by your provider?
    [edit] sorry, the headline says "netgear".

Die ersten beiden Standartfragen habe ich ihm schon mal gestellt:
    1. Wer ist dein ISP?
    2. Wie lautet die genau Bezeichnung deines Modems?
    [Edit] In der Überschrift steht ja "Netgear"

Themen Starter

Title
    neuer Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

stadtindianer thank you VERY VERY MUCH for your kind help!

In response to your questions:
    ISP is Deutsche Telekom (T-Com 2Mbps ADSL service)
    Modem is Netgear DM111PBL (version that is supposed to work with T-Com according to the netgear website...)

Again thank you!
    Jack

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Ist denn da keiner, der ihm mal helfen kann?

Isn´t there anybody who can help him?

fribous ist offline

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Hallo

Das Gerät ist nur ein reines DSL Modem. Man muss eine Breitbandverbindung mit dem Assistenten in XP oder Vista einrichten, um damit ins Internet zu kommen. Da braucht man keine IP-Adresse ändern. Man kann auch nicht auf die Konfiguration zugreifen! Wenn das so nicht Funktioniert, ist das Modem wohl Defekt, oder am Notebook ist eine Einstellung verändert.

https://www.netgear.de/Produkte/Route...PBL/index.html

Gruß fribous

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Danke fribous.
    @Jack, you need to install a broadband connection with the help of the assistent in windows xp or vista. You don't need to change the ip-adress. It is not possible to do any changes at the modem. If that doesn't work, probablly the modem isn't working, or you changed settings at the notebook.

fribous ist offline

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Kein Problem! Leider habe ich keine Installationsanleitung in Englisch für das Teil gefunden. Es wird aber wirklich nur angeschlossen. Man richtet eine Breitbandverbindung ein und schon kann man Online gehen. Sehr Wichtig ist eine aktive Firewall auf dem PC!

Themen Starter

Title
    neuer Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Thank you both for the help and the translation!!!

I have tried a number of things to see if I could get the modem to work.
    I have a install CD from T-Com (T-DSL) with some software to give you metrics etc. The (only?) good thing there is a connectivity test option. It performs the test with our own config and the test passed, ie, I could connect to the internet via the modem.

The next step was to use the Windows connection wizard to configure the connection to the T-DSL service (following the advice I got here!).

I did this and it works. With the modem attached to my rj-45 port on the laptop I can browse the internet as if I was using it via the modem/router (with the fritz!box).

Here is the config of the connection in case this helps:

-----
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-C2-06-52
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter T-Com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 91.60.121.202
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 91.60.121.202
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 217.237.150.205
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
    -----

So, my conclusion is that at least the modem works with T-DSL and this part of the modem is working fine.

What I still cannot do is configure the modem. The userid and password for the DSL service work if given by the laptop to the modem. This unfortunately does not configure the modem itself so I cannot use it connected to a router (so that all the computers at home can reach the net).

I think that the only way forward is to call netgear tech support and find out how can I try to configure the modem given that the admin/password login doesn't work...

Thanks for your help and if anyone has any further suggestions I would be most grateful and happy to try them out.

Again, thank you stadtindianer, you have been really helpful!

Thank you all,
    Jack

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Jack.O.Trades
    What I still cannot do is configure the modem. The userid and password for the DSL service work if given by the laptop to the modem.
    There is no way to configure the modem!

This unfortunately does not configure the modem itself so I cannot use it connected to a router (so that all the computers at home can reach the net).
    Why don't you use a switch, instaed of a router? You said, you reached the internet, didn't you?

Wait a minute, I will ask in German for help.

Also die Frage ist: Kann er an das Modem eigentlich einen Switch hängen? Er will nämlich das Modem so konfigurieren, das er mit allen Computern zu Hause ins Internet kommt. Ich hab das zwar noch nie gesehen, aber ist das möglich?

Themen Starter

Title
    neuer Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Zitat Zitat von stadtindianer
    What I still cannot do is configure the modem. The userid and password for the DSL service work if given by the laptop to the modem.
    There must be a way to configure the modem, as per the manual. It has a configuration application internally, I just can't reach it with the manual instructions (connecting to https://192.168.0.1) as per my original post... Until I can change this configuration I cannot share this service via my router...

This unfortunately does not configure the modem itself so I cannot use it connected to a router (so that all the computers at home can reach the net).
    Why don't you use a switch, instaed of a router? You said, you reached the internet, didn't you?
    I have a Media Centre plus this laptop connecting via Wireless, plus a Home Server and a Desktop PC using wires. I already have the netgear router waiting for Mr.Modem to start working...

The reason why I cannot just get a gateway (like the Fritz!Box which is fabulous by the way) is that I am moving to gigabit ethernet and I haven't seen gateways (modem+router+wireless router) with Gigabit Eth support. If AVM had one I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Thanks again for your help!
    Jack

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Ok, no switch everything is wireless.

devolo01 ist offline

Title
    Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Wait a minute, I will ask in German for help.

Also die Frage ist: Kann er an das Modem eigentlich einen Switch hängen? Er will nämlich das Modem so konfigurieren, das er mit allen Computern zu Hause ins Internet kommt. Ich hab das zwar noch nie gesehen, aber ist das möglich?
    Es gibt Modems mit 1nem Lan Port die aber Managbar sind. Zb. AM200 von Linksys. Bei diesen Modems kann man PPPoE einstellungen durchführen so das diese die Primäreinwahl durchführen. Im Umkehr schluss währe es dann auch möglich einen Switch oder AP anzubinden, und mit mehren Clients Online zu gehen. Sollte das Modem aber dennoch Unmanagbar sein. Wird das leider nicht gehen.

Bei Jack seinem Modem würde es eine Lösung geben das Interace zu erreichen. Er bönötig dazu eine andere Firmware.

Genaue Anleitung

https://www.modemwiki.de/hardware:net...erface_zugriff

@Standtindianer

dein English ist besser als meines daher, würde ich dir für eine Übersetzung danken .

Gruß

Roadmaster ist offline

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

The reason why I cannot just get a gateway (like the Fritz!Box which is fabulous by the way) is that I am moving to gigabit ethernet and I haven't seen gateways (modem+router+wireless router) with Gigabit Eth support. If AVM had one I would buy it in a heartbeat!
    AVM doesn't have anything like that.

But, for example, Buffalo has. I can't find anything about an internal Modem, but Router+Wireless+Gigabit Eth is no problem to get.

Maybe this one can handle all components of your Network

Wireless-N Nfiniti™ Dual Band Gigabit Router & Access Point

It even supports Wireless N-Draft in 2.4 GHz AND 5 GHz at the same time.

my english isn'T so good, but i hope you understand, what i meant

greetz

Themen Starter

Title
    neuer Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Thank you Devolo01.
    If I understood what you wrote (I hope I have) I have come to a similar conclusio, ie, that the modem cannot be configured unless I upgrade the firmware.

I have been able to use it to connect via the PC directly so perhaps it is the way I am using/configuring the router that is wrong. I have tried to use the Netgear Rangemax 834B connected to this modem and configure the router with the T-DSL username and password but so far I have not managed to get it to work. I believe this is how the modem should be used, especially if I cannot change any settings in the modem (and it doesn't come with any extra software).

So I am now wondering what am I doing wrong with the router and exploring that as an alternative to thinking that the problem is in the modem.

By the way, thank you for the links but I did not manage to open them (they were broken for some reason). A shame, really, as per what I understood they seemed to be spot on!

Roadmaster thank you for your help and for the suggestion. I did not know the Buffalo model you mention so it is good to know. I want to give Netgear another chance but if I get nowhere with this I may very well look to Buffalo for a solution!

Regards and thank you to all!
    Jack

Roadmaster ist offline

Title
    erfahrener Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Hi,

does your Netgear Rangemax have an internal Modem?
    If not, you have to connect the Router to the Modem, then it should work.

Is there any error displayed in the Router's menu, why it doesn't connect?

and if you use the Router, don't use the broadband connection on your PC. it will allways show an error because the router will block the dial-up connection.
    You'll have to set the connection to 'dont use any connection' in the internet Settings of your IE, otherwise it will allways try to use the broadband connection.

Themen Starter

Title
    neuer Benutzer
    seit
    Danke

Standard

Zitat Zitat von Roadmaster
    Hi,

does your Netgear Rangemax have an internal Modem?
    If not, you have to connect the Router to the Modem, then it should work.

Is there any error displayed in the Router's menu, why it doesn't connect?

and if you use the Router, don't use the broadband connection on your PC. it will allways show an error because the router will block the dial-up connection.
    You'll have to set the connection to 'dont use any connection' in the internet Settings of your IE, otherwise it will allways try to use the broadband connection.
    Hi Roadmaster,

No, the Netgear Rangemax is a wireless router, without any internal modem. I have tried to configure it with the same username and password I used from the PC when it worked (I suppose the router feeds that to the modem, just like the PC does). It had worked on the PC but it didn't on the router.

I have to find out how to get some kind of logs or error trail on the router and then analyse it. I will try to do that this evening, at home.

The broadband connection on the laptop has been removed after I finished the test.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Jack